Monday, October 4, 2010

Confessions of a Boat-aholic

My name is Melanie, and I'm married to a boat-aholic. I've known about my husband's addiction for quite some time, but it has gotten so much worse since we actually purchased a boat this summer. I knew I was in trouble when I actually considered letting him cut Paige's cast off (at home) a day early so we could go boating over Labor Day. Thankfully, the weather was unseasonably cold and we kept the cast on, which spared me the unpleasant experience of having THAT conversation with the orthopedic surgeon the following day. But I digress. We just got back from our first ever family trip to Lake Powell, and we truly had a wonderful time. I will say, however, that I'm exhausted. We camped for three nights on our boat (yes, you read it correctly, CAMPED...ugh!) I know that a couple of my sisters laughed (out loud, mind you...)when they heard of our plan (they know me sooo well). I have to confess, I laughed out loud when my hubby first presented the idea. My end of the conversation went something like this: Camping? On our boat? With two little girls, and a port-a-WHAT? (potty) Are you crazy? And I guess he is crazy, because that's exactly what we did. And here's another confession: I actually had a blast. Not only was Lake Powell awesome, but I did something completely out of my comfort zone. I have to say, I am quite proud of myself and my two little girls (they dreaded the camping too, it must be a genetic thing...) We had three wonderful days of swimming and snacking and exploring canyons. It was an awesome trip, and we made some fantastic memories with our little girls and Chad's family. It was a trip we will never forget, and will probably end up repeating next year, considering Chad's addiction and all. :)
Following Kim, Rick, Pete and Dianne (our partners in crime) up an incredible canyon.
Enjoying the incredible scenery. Gotta love the self-timer pictures!
This is what 40 mph looks like! Aren't they cute?


Chad and the girls





4 comments:

Kristin said...

I think you're on your way to becoming an addict too! That looks like so much fun. Maddie and Paige are adorable at 40 mph! I'm glad you overcame your fear of port-a-potties, and had a great time. Looks like it was a blast!

barbiebharris said...

It DOES look like fun! What a fun new family tradition. The girls are so cute at 40 mph!!

Kristen said...

We love Lake Powell, it's one of our favorite family trips. Actually seeing these pictures makes me want to go right now, too bad I'll have to wait until next summer! I LOVE boating! I wish we could actually get out more.

The Austad Family said...

Lake Powell is awesome! So glad you guys had a good time! LOL! Yes, Chad is a boataholic.