Friday, September 10, 2010

Locks and Lots of Love

As many of you know, my sweet mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in May. You think it’s never going to happen to you (and certainly not to your sweet mom) But when it does, a very interesting thing happens. You dig deep and find out exactly what you’re made of. As is turns out (and as I’ve known all along) my mom is made of some pretty great stuff. I just want to take this chance to let my mom know how proud I am of her. She has been incredibly strong, and has kept her sense of humor throughout the entire experience. She has endured several horrible procedures and a five-and-a-half hour surgery (along with all of the unpleasantries that come along with such a big surgery and recovery). When she was first diagnosed, she told me she was a tough old bird, and that it would take more than cancer to do her in (her words, not mine). She wasn’t kidding, she really is tough. This is a woman who has already had four total joint replacements (two hips, two knees) and had six children naturally (and when I say naturally, I mean NATURALLY--no epidural, no block, nothing). Not to mention, she survived raising said children…six hormonal, emotional girls. She truly is a tough old bird (again, her words).

When we found out about mom’s cancer, I was trying to explain it to my kids. We were talking about the medicine that would make Grandma’s hair fall out, and my sweet Maddie said she wanted to cut her hair to donate to Locks of Love, so that her hair could be used for a wig for someone else’s Grandma. My mom is a wonderful Grandma, and all of her grandchildren adore her. This is a big week for my mom. She starts her chemo on Wednesday. She will have four months of Chemo, followed by daily radiation for an additional six weeks. Mom, I want you to remember that each day you are further along in your journey; the journey from cancer patient, to cancer survivor. I know the road is long and will be difficult, but we are all here for you--your family, your friends. We are all cheering you on and ready to do whatever it takes to help you fight. You are so loved. I wish love was the answer--the magic medicine--because there would be no question, you could consider yourself cured. You have already proven that you are a fighter. I know you can do this, and I know that you know too. I love you so very much. I will be sending my prayers and good thoughts your way every single day. Love you most. :)




Maddie with Grandma just before her haircut.








Sooo Cute! Aunt Allie did such a great job!









Me and my Mom

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Mel, I love your post! I couldn't agree more. We have an awesome mom and she has been such a great example to all of us. I'll be so glad when she is through chemo and radiation and is all better! She will be fine, I know. Maddie is such a sweetie. Her hair will make someone very happy and beautiful!

Kristin said...

p.s. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day a way. Love it!!!!!

Cindy said...

Melanie I just found your blog. Your girls are beautiful! Barbara is a wonderful lady, I always enjoy visiting with her. Our prayers are with her.

Kristen said...

Glad Kristin mentioned your blog. I remember visiting back in 2008, but didn't realize you were updating it again. Yeah! Your girls are beautiful. 1st grade is the hardest, I think. Hope your surviving. My oldest started jr. high, where does the time go? Praying for your mom & your family. What a difficult time, but from Kristin's posts, looks like you guys are handling it with strength and grace.

Lid said...

Love it, Mel. Love you. Love our awesome family and love mom so much!! She IS a tough old bird!!

Connie's Corner said...

What a sweet tribute to your mother. She truely is a wonderful woman and dear friend. She is so blessed to have all of you as her family. She will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Connie Johnson