Thursday, August 12, 2010

End of Summer Bummer

I love the idea of the endless summer, but I have to say the person who coined this phrase never had a two year old…in a cast…in AUGUST! Our summer activities have come to a screeching, whiplash-worthy halt. And it’s a real bummer. No more swim days with the cousins, no more Lagoon, or boating, no more bike rides or Roy aquatic center, sprinklers or anything water-related. No raspberry shake in Bear Lake this weekend (sniff, sniff). We are only 4 days in and I’m already about to loose my mind. I am mourning the loss of those last 2 weeks of summer. Those weeks where you cram your days full of all your favorite summer activities just before school starts. I’ll say it again: It’s a real bummer. Now that I have that off my chest, and I’ve had my 5 minute pity party, I will say, (despite my previous rant) that I am a person who firmly believes that every cloud has a silver lining. And I have found a few silver linings in this little rain cloud. For starters, I decided to treat myself to a new stroller, which is always fun (Maddie refers to the new stroller as “the wheelchair” and insists on pushing "the wheelchair" wherever we go… so cute) Secondly, I get to dress Paige in cute little skirts EVERY DAY! The next is probably my favorite. Paige’s inability to scale the shelves in my pantry has seriously cut down on her snacking, which means that she has eaten three healthy meals a day since she broke her leg. I feel this is nothing short of a victory for me, and reinforces my feeling that I need to get a lock on my pantry (you’ll read about that one when it happens). I guess I could stop buying junk food, but what fun is that? Finally, I have found that having Paige wear one shoe is quite nice-- because in my world, that’s usually all we can find anyway! ☺







Swimming or no swimming, they're cute little stinkers!

1 comment:

The Austad Family said...

Great post. So true. Glad you can find the positive in all of this. You're my hero Mel. I need to be more optimisic. How come I can only find one shoe too? What is it with kids and shoes?